Sunday, November 14, 2010

Battle of Tours

Welcome Mr. Martel. Congratulations on your big victory over the Muslims! You should be quite proud. Tell us, what was the battle like?
Charles: Well, the battle happened October 25, 732 near Tours and Poitiers. The battle happened because the Muslims captured Spain, which allowed them to be close enough to raid Gaul on a regular basis. In 732, a large raid swept through lower France, led by Abd ar-Rahman I. The duke of the area, Odo, requested my help, and I decided to step in. I requested land from the church where I could train my troops, and my request was granted. We first used stirrups in this battle, allowing our cavalry to become very effective. After we had won, raids in the area effectively stopped. It was a major accomplishment of the century.
Thank you Charles, coming up next, William the Conqueror.
Charles Martel at the Battle of Tours
"Battle of Tours." World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras. ABC-CLIO, 2010. Web. 14 Nov. 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment