Saturday, November 13, 2010

Constantine the Great

Hello bloggers, it’s me again. Today, I’m going to be interviewing the roman emperor Constantine the Great. Tell us a little about your childhood, Constantine.

C: I was born in 272 A.D. to my parents Helena and Constantius in the city Naissus. My mother was a common women, and my father was at the time a roman officer, who would later become the co emperor. I watched my father die in 306 in Britain, and then a man named Maxentius claimed the throne. The army remained loyal to me, and I defeated him in 312 at the battle of Milvian Bridge.

What did you do once you established yourself as ruler?

C: I decided to make my capitol city Byzantium, or present day Istanbul. Being very modest, I renamed the city Constantinople. I changed the status quo when I became the emperor though. I not only stopped Christian persecution, I became a Christian myself. I did this because jesus saved me at the battle of Milvian Bridge. I then worked on turning Constantinople into a city that would rival Rome. I then died in the year 337.

The Cross Appears to Constantine (Raphael)

"Constantine the Great." World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras. ABC-CLIO, 2010. Web. 13 Nov. 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment