Sunday, November 14, 2010

William the Conqueror

Good morning bloggers, we have a special guest today. Please help me welcome William the Conqueror. William, let’s start off with your early life.
W: well, I was born in the year 1027 A.D. in a town in France. I was the basterd child of Duke Robert of Normandy. I gained my father’s land and wealth at a young age when he died. I had many powerful friends, but also many powerful enemies. My cousin Count Guy even tried to take over Normandy, and it was only through the assistance of King Henry that I prevailed.
How did you get the throne?
W: it started when I was married to Matilda in 1053, which strengthened my ties with England. I began conquering more land and making strong alliances to increase my influence. I also made friends with the Catholic Church. In 1066, King Edward died and Harold II was crowned king. He had to fend off an attack from the King of Norway, who also wished to be king of England. This made his army tired and weak, and I managed to beat him at the battle of Hastings.
What did you do once you were king?
W: I first had to completely solidify my leadership by dealing with certain individuals and invading Scotland and Wales. I am mostly famous however, for my taxes.  I made all large land owners swear an oath to me, and had my agents collect information on all properties for use in taxation and land disputes. I finally died in the year 1087.
William "The Conqueror"

"William the Conqueror." World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras. ABC-CLIO, 2010. Web. 14 Nov. 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment