Friday, November 12, 2010

Julius Caesar

I am here today interviewing the great Julius Caesar about the fall of the Roman Empire. Welcome Mr. Caesar. Tell us your story.

J: I was born in 100 B.C. with the name Gaius Julius Caesar. Because of the dangerous feud between my uncle and Lucius Cornelius Sulla , I fled Rome and studied politics and warfare in Asia Minor. In the year 73 B.C. I returned to Rome. I assumed the position of a priest, and took up the job of military tribune. When my wife and aunt died, I stirred up emotions by giving them public funerals, something that was very rare in Rome. I then went to Spain where I got rid of the hostile tribes there, greatly adding to the public coffers and paying off my debts. I was elected into the consulship in 58 B.C. and used corruption and violence to reward my followers. I became increasingly corrupt and was tried for corruption, but was found innocent. I then took my own personal army in 49 B.C. and crossed the Rubicon, where I attacked and defeated republican forces in 45 B.C. becoming dictator for life. It was short lived however; as I was murdered by senate members in march 44 B.C. After I died, a cycle of Civil wars followed, where Augustus was crowned the first emperor of Rome.

"Julius Caesar." World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras. ABC-CLIO, 2010. Web. 12 Nov. 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment