Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Sack of Rome

Welcome Alaric, king of the Visigoths. Tell us about the sacking of Rome.

A: It started in 378 when Visigoths were placed in the roman army. In 395, we renounced a treaty we had made with Rome, and I was chosen as the king of the Visigoths. I tried invading Italy in 401, and managed to scare the emperor at the time to move his court to the city of Ravenna before I was pushed out of Italy. Luckily, the emperor died in 408, so I went ahead and invaded Italy again. This time, my arch rival Flavius Stilicho, who had bested me during my last invasion, was killed for his support in a power struggle. My army surrounded Rome, but the siege was lifted when we received tribute from the city in 409. In the summer of 410, the foolish emperor Honorius would not listen to our negotiations, so our allies in the city opened the city gates, allowing us in. we pillaged and took much wealth, but spared most of the civilians and buildings before moving on. Through this act, we sent shockwaves throughout the known world, and we started the decline of the Western Roman Empire.

 The image of the Sack of Rome

"sack of Rome." World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras. ABC-CLIO, 2010. Web. 13 Nov. 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment